
It's coming close to a year now that we have lived with Grandma. It doesn't seem like we have been here that long and other days I'm pulling my hair thinking what did I think I was going to do here!!?!!? Grandma is 88 and a cheerful sort of soul. She also has so many quirks that didn't just crop up when we moved in, they have always been there I just never spent enough time around the woman before now to see them. Examples you ask? How about using five paper towels in the kitchen to clean up with then carefully flattening them out and placing them over teapots and dish racks to dry. Because we can use them over again. Or, saving newspaper plastic bags to store Christmas and other holiday nic-nacks in, even though they all are already wrapped in same such bags, but my favorite, all time best grandma quirk is, clipping newspapers. anything is worthy of clipping. She will clip recipes, or a restaurant review, a camera sale might be worth keeping and one I just had to save was the "Are you experiencing erectile dysfunction?" add she stashed between the cushions of her couch. You see she caught on to me recycling the paper after a day. I think she didn't want to lose it.
Recently a new quirk has shown up but this one is all old age disease. You see she seems to think every actor works in Martha Stewarts kitchen. Although through the years she has had many, many guests, not all of them have been there. Right?
It doesn't matter what is on TV, Grandma,who usually is reading the paper will turn to me and say, "Isn't it amazing? All of those people work in Martha Stewarts kitchen!"
And I should add it's not just actors. She was reading the obituaries and said the same thing about those poor souls.
So far she has given that honor to the actors on "NCIS", "Ghost Hunters", "Community", and the guys that play Sean and Gus on "Psych". She has also claimed or ask if Dame Judi Dench, Nicole Kidman and/or Shannon Tweed were Martha herself.
Grandma is stuck on Martha, and although at first I would correct her, it did no good. She is sure she knows what she is talking about. So, I am learning the art of open statements like, "Wow" and "Really" and "Okay".
I haven't learned them all yet and I know a new curve ball is just around the corner, but I have time. Grandma, who knows how much time she has, so those little quirks really aren't that much of a problem. Funny though.
1 comment:
Wait! Didn't YOU once work in Martha Stewart's kitchen? I'm sure you taught her a thing or two! :)
Post a Comment