Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Birds and The Bees

A week or two ago I was looking out our window deciding what to do that day when I noticed a nest in the tree. There, by itself, sat one lonely little robins egg.
We decided to observe and learn about our new neighbor. We looked on line for hatching dates, and species, and all that fun stuff, and we talked about how neat it would be to see a baby bird hatch and grow. Soon, one egg turned into two and three. The robin was always around and always aware of us watching. Especially on the night we had our storm. Abbi had a flashlight to check on momma bird protecting her eggs. I guess she thought we were her new protectors because today she left, probably to eat, and that is when a crow came and ate her eggs. Then when I told Abbi about it she was devastated. It was a hard lesson about the Birds and the bees.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sucks, but cute story!

Karina Rigtrup said...

How can I resist a post title like that. I was thinking Abbi got "the talk"...

carlen said...

that's awful! like a disney movie gone BAD!