Saturday, April 18, 2009

Cows, and Llamas and Camels Oh My!

Llamas and cows I get, but why on Earth did this farm have 3 camels?



Because Jason is a Funeral Director, his job here sometimes includes taking trips around the area to cemeteries to take pictures of headstones to send to families that can't make the trip to see what their money bought them. Such is the case of a family that buried their grandpa in a town called Loon Lake. Also a marker needed to be set in another cemetery farther away in a even smaller town called Fruitland. (Markers are those little metal temporary "Markers" for lack of better description that sit at the head of a new grave.) It was Jason's day off yesterday, but Jason volunteered to take them out if he could use the company vehicle. And since I'm always up for a road trip, especially on someone Else's dime, I came along on the 200 mile round trip. It was a beautiful day out in the country. We drove by farm after farm after farm. But the one that caught my fancy was the one that had so many animals out grazing. Cows of course, goats, sheep, llamas or alpacas I can't tell the difference. But the best had to be the camels, who expects to see camels in the Eastern corner of Washington? I wonder what makes a person think, "Ya know what this farm needs? Some large spitting pack animals from Africa!" Hey it made me stop to look, Jason thought more reasonably that these people must have a petting zoo of sorts. Heck they could be the people that had a petting zoo at the Idaho state fair last year that had a camel. Anyway I thought it was cool.

4 comments:

Karina Rigtrup said...

I've never seen a camel before. I guess I just assumed they live in far away lands like Egypt. But no, apparently they live in far away lands like Loon Lake or Boonyville. We missed you guys today at Lula's party. I'll post pictures soon so you can feel like you were there!

Jen said...

seriously? If you didn't have pics I wouldn't have belived you? I thought camels were only kept in zoos and those animal parks...wouldn't ya have to have a license to house an "Exoctic" animal???

carlen said...

oh my is right! wow!

carlen said...

oh yeah, baby! pace picante sauce brings back lots of memories! do you remeber that mega-u-turn you did when we were visiting teaching that almost gave me a heart-attack! those were fun days!