Thursday, December 11, 2008

A New Talent


Last week I was put in the Young Women's as 2nd counselor. I have not been in Young Women's since I was one and we don't need to explore how long ago that was. Anyway, last night was my 1st activity night. We had one of our talented Laurels teach the rest of us how to make big wired ribbon bows. It was great I have been making those things for years and I have been going about it the wrong way. She showed us a much more productive way to wrap bows and I thought I would share it with you.

1st start by measuring how big you want the bow by making a loop of ribbon the size of your package.
Next wrap the ribbon around that loop at least 5 times, bigger bows need 6-8 loops

When you have enough ribbon cut it leaving a small extra
Fold the loops in half. Make sure the extras are pinched down.
Then in the middle, cut a slit on each side, making sure not to cut it all the way through.
Cut a new peace of ribbon. This piece is to tie around the looped ribbon.
The tie should be between the two cuts.
Then, starting on the inside, pull out a loop and twist it.
Then do the same thing on the opposite side. Continue til all are pulled out and twisted
Notice it ain't so pretty, just fiddle and plump and before you know it...
it's a beautiful bow!
I hope that was helpful, or am I the only one that didn't know how to do this?

2 comments:

Karina Rigtrup said...

That's awesome! I have never been able to figure those out, thanks for sharing. I gotta go make some bows now!

Jen said...

I MISS CRAFT DAY!! I needed this lesson too! Thanks for the detailed instructions! BTW - loved the card!