Saturday, December 6, 2008

Tradition!

I have one ornament that I hold so dear, my first one ever It's a little angel given to me on my first Christmas. It hung on my parents tree every year until I had my own home. Then it was given to me to keep special. It started life as a clean, well groomed blond angel, then as the years went on she's gained her own style, not unlike me. She also lost her golden wings and now has blue ink on her face. When I was younger, I couldn't understand why my mother hung on to such an ugly beat up thing. But now that it has spent so many years as a part of my Christmas, I can't imagine decorating without it. That's why now that we have a daughter I wanted to give her a first ornament to treasure. But that tradition has evolved to a new ornament every year. Then, because her middle name is Joy, that ornament now has to say joy on it and we are amassing quite a collection of "Joys" that will one day decorate Abbi's tree when she leaves home.

No comments: